Diamond feathers for her hair

"Spectacular old mine cut diamond and sapphire oversized feather brooch from Fred Leighton -- the one that fashion baron, André Leon Talley, borrows from time to time." source New York Social Diary

"I beg you will limit yourself to this ornament, even of which your charms have no need. This present should please you the more that it has not increased my expenditure, since it is composed of diamonds I possessed when I was a dauphin."¹
Even Louis XVI tried to curb Marie Antoinette's taste for tall headdresses, which were inspired by Georgiana duchess of Devonshire.  In this anecdote, he offered her a beautiful diamond aigrette, made of diamonds from his personal collection, to wear instead of the frivolous feathers. Subtle(?) gesture.

¹Métra, François. "Correspondance littéraire secrète." Neuwied, Société typographique, Janurary 9, 1775. Quoted in Langlade, Émile, and A. S. Rappoport. 1913. Rose Bertin: the creator of fashion at the court of Marie-Antoinette. New York, NY: Charles Scribner's Sons. 40.


8 comments:

  1. Lauren, do you happen to know the date when he wrote this? I love it!

    Oh and I have been missing the Louis moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I will send my reference information along to you via email, sometime this evening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:58 AM

    what a sweet and reasonable gift, even for a queen! I love what he wrote, also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just discovered your blog and I totally love it!

    The Louis Moment was fabulous, I enjoy being able to see into an intimate moment like that :)

    Thanks!

    BTW, Marie Antoinette was featured on my blog last week, if you feel like hopping over to read parts I & II I'd love to have your thoughts on it! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Eliza! I started doing 'Louis Moments' and just can't stop :o) they are fun and Louis is oh so interesting! Now I must check on your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exquisite snippet of history.

    Your site is very interesting as I do researchon historical periods for my fiction stories. I will be adding your blog to my historical links, making it easier to return.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Barbara! I am glad you enjoy! Do come back and feel free to add your own bits of gossip!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi!! Loved this post so much that I am going to make a corset inspired by the diamond feather!! Would it bbe possible to send me the reference via email too?! =D

    ReplyDelete