Popular 18th Century Names


Inspired by the recent Social Security baby name list, I thought it was time to do some research! So I have compiled some graphs just to give you a glimpse of popular trends. Trends of what you ask? The lovely names of some of our favorite 18th century femmes (post 18th century of course!)
My graphs are not fancy and you need to click on them to actually see them... Sorry! The popular trends are based on popularity in the U.S. spanning from 1880-2008.


Adelaide
As we can see Adelaide has enjoyed a recent spike in popularity! From 1880 to 1948, when it suddenly dropped off the charts (not within the top 1000 names,) but in 2005 it came back with force! It is not my favorite name, but the more I think about it- I like it!





Elisabeth
Next we have Elisabeth, which has maintained a steady popularity over the years! It reached it's most popular in 2001 ranked at #286, and it's least popular was in 1946 at #655. Don't be confused with Elizabeth, which has maintained popularity and this year is ranked at #9.








Antoinette
What would you expect the trend for Antoinette to be? It held a steady popularity since 1880, and had a surprising increase during the 1980s! The name Antoinette was most popular in 1917. Ever since then the popularity of the French name has dropped. I wonder when it will rise up again??






Louise
Now the name Louise was very popular in 18th century France, because...well...all the Louis' of course! If you have heard that the French were America's first friends, it would not surprise you that Louise, above other names has been incredibly popular over the years. Only recently has the popularity dropped, and before that the decrease was only slight. Louise enjoyed it's height of popularity between 1912 - 1914.





Georgiana
How many Georgiana's do you know? I bet not too many! The name was rather popular early on, reaching it's peak in 1880, ranked as the 256th most popular name! By 1953 it had dropped off the charts. So sad! It really is quite lovely...


I hope you enjoyed my little look into these names. I pulled them from our Femme's of the Week.


23 comments:

  1. Very interesting! I love Georgiana and Antoinette (and my middle name is Elizabeth, lol). Great research :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fascinating! I love the name Georgiana although these days it would probably end up as Georgie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What, no Laura or Lauren? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:52 AM

    Mi great-grand momether was bonr in the 1900 and her nami is Adeline... lovely names...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Antoinette and Louise are my favorite names. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know quite alot of people with Elizabeth as a middle name

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the names Georgiana, Antoinette and Elizabeth. I would name my daughters like that hehe. Anyway, the Spanish versions of those names are terribly awful: Antonieta and Isabel. I'm not sure how Georgiana is translated, but I think it is Jorgelina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Georgina would be the Spanish for Georgiana

      Delete
  9. @ Anabel: When I was in highschool my spanish name was Isabel! I think it is pretty, not sure how I feel about Jorgelina!!
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I know a lot of people with Elisabeth as a middle name, and also a lot of Sarahs. What about Sarah? That wasn't a very popular 18th c. name was it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I ment Elizabeth! Oops! But I do know an Elisabeth (she's Swedish).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lauren: the other day I was talking with an English friend who lives here in Argentina. He told me they love the Spanish versions of their names. For example: Charles - Carlos, or George - Jorge.

    We spanish speakers love the English versions of our names. Mine would be Annabel, just adding one "n" in the middle. Anyway I prefer Annabel to Anabel, with that silly detail.

    Isabel is a nice name, but nowadays sounds old fashioned, like Ethel. I think my name in English is old fachioned, isn't it? :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybe that is why I love Isabel! It is old fashioned! Anabel does not strike me as an old fashioned name but more rare than anything...I have a cousin named Maribel actually!
    I wish Lauren had a Spanish equivalent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren does have a Spanish form, it is Laura for girls or Lauro for boys.

      Delete
  14. Very interesting, thank you!

    Sarah was a very popular 18th-century name, in New England anyway, but it was often "shortened" to Sally. Some other really popular names were Martha, shortened to Polly, Hannah, shortened to Nancy, Abigail, and Betty. Sounds like the 1950s, doesn't it?

    I really like the name Mehitable!! But I know I'm the only one who feels that way!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous3:17 AM

    Yolande is a sweet name...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love old fashioned names you just don't see them too often, I know i am the only Wilhelmina I know, and the only place i have heard my name in is the book and movie Dracula.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Wilhelmina I completely agree! I think I will see if I can pull stats on your name it is so antique and lovely!

    __ ok got some stats: Wilhelmina enjoyed popularity in 1884 ranking as the 215th most popular name in the US!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very awesome, but you are talking about the 19th century, not 18th!

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Mary Sue Yup, the stats are from the SS admin beginning 1880, but I pulled the names from the 'femme of the week' ladies :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Wilhelmina, my daughter's middle name is Wilhelmina! My husband's great-aunt, who was part of that family's first American generation after emigrating from Germany, passed away right before she was born. She had no children of her own so we decided to use her name for our daughter to keep an unusual name alive.

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Jenny O Wilhelmina, what a great 18th century name! Love it!

    ReplyDelete