Art: haunting works

Francisco de Goya, Half-submerged Dog. Painting, 1819-1823. Museo del Prado

Inspired by Heather's The Witching Hour post, I thought I would ask you if there were any paintings you find spooky, creepy or scary??  These can be from the 18th century or any other period.




For me, Goya's Half Submerged Dog made quite the chilling impression. It is displayed among the Black Paintings at el Prado museum.  In this very eerie room you find Saturn Eating His Children and Witches Sabbath (below). The exhibit of the works is really quite haunting....Have you seen them?

Francisco Goya, The Witches Sabbath. Painting, 1823. Museo del Prado.

Happy Halloween!

4 comments:

  1. Edvard Munch's The Scream has always freaked me out. I've had nightmares about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...my poster for Goya's Dog was just deliverer today! I never thought of it as creepy despite being one of his Black Paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @heather carroll you are kidding!! the pooch is dying in quick sand, sinking slowly to his death and totally alone...shivers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always interpreted it as him looking up! He looks like he is begging from the table! I've seen that expression many times

    ReplyDelete