The Pleasures of the Seasons, Snowed In

Johann Georg Platzer, Winter [The Pleasures of the Seasons]. Early/mid 18th Century, oil on copper. The Minneapolis Institute of Arts.


What do you do on a snow day?




Why not host a party, make sure the fire is going, invite all my friends, most of whom need to stay over because they can't get their carriages shoveled out, offer lots of food and ensure every one has plenty of good wine to drink. Play cards! It is a great time!

If you end up snowed in this winter... I hope you can escape or gain some inspiration from Platzer's winter scene.  The Austrian painter certainly knew how to find a joyful side of January.

9 comments:

  1. Lucky you if you are! I had hoped to be snowed in, but alas, we only got about 4 inches of snow which in SE Michigan, is really nothing. *sigh* A cozy day in front of the fireplace with a good book just sounded so lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those parties sound lovely. I can't wait for spring. Nothing like a picnic to cheer me up. Oh, where did I put my parasol?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so snowed in I might have to pop the pink champagne alone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky you! Raise a glass for me, would you? It's nasty and messy here, but I'm able to get out *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not snowed in, but looking at this painting, I wish I was.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:12 PM

    Have you ever heard Meaghan Smith's song "It Snowed"? It's perfect for this subject!

    ReplyDelete
  7. La transition dans le style de travail de Jacques-Louis, du «Rococo» et du «Baroque» au «Néo-classicisme», se reflète surtout dans son magnum opus, «Le Serment des Horaces» (1784-1785), qui témoigné de l'influence d'artistes comme Hamilton, sur son travail. Ses autres créations, telles que «Mort de Socrate» (1787) et «L'amour de Paris et d'Hélène» (1789), ont joué un rôle déterminant dans le développement de «l'hellénisme romantique» dans «l'art français». Pascal Robaglia & Pascal Robaglia Art Son œuvre classique, "Les Licteurs revenant à Brutus les corps de ses fils", fut félicitée au Salon de 1789.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where have you gone? I just stumbled upon your blog and I love it! You have really nailed such a unique theme. Hope to hear you back here sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still here, just a slow start to the year - a few big life events this year including starting a new job. I also actively update twitter with fun 18th c facts!

      Delete