For your château? Potpourri Vessel

Potpourri "vessel", c.1760. Porcelain. Musée du Louvre.

This porcelain vessel is intended to hold fragrant potpourri.  It is decorated in the Chinoiserie style, in a soft pink with gold, cream and green accents.  Three men lounge and play a table game in the center of the vessel.  The top is detailed with a faux piece of silk (also porcelain) decorated with gold fleur de lis across it.  Madame de Pompadour had this piece on her mantel, would you have it in your château?



10 comments:

  1. Although it is quite showy, I do actually like it...though I think I would like it better in French blue...but of course dahhhling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I will pass on this one since it looks like something out of a retro kitchen and not even in a good way. Plus I have potpourri holders in the form of muscle-y men painted gold who pose with their hands cupped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If Madame de Pompadour had it, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too pink and showy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely!! I want one! I remember when I went to Monticello they had recreations of some 18th century plates and things that were way too expensive for me but definitely something I would buy if I had money.

    P.S. I know that you recently had a guest post on fashion dolls, so I thought you might be interested to know that I wrote about fashion dolls in the first post of my new blog The Fashion Historian. I'd love if you would check it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore pink to no end, but something about it... it all doesn't fit together well. I'll have to pass on this =(

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is stunning! I'd love to have it on my fireplace mantel perhaps

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore both pink and chinoiserie, but doesn't do it for me. I'm saddened to disagree with Madame P.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mais oui! This would look perfect on my mantle! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Also, Hope you don't mind I mentioned this on my blog:

    http://artofmodernlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete