A Change in Fashions 1770

George Romney, Mrs. Francis Russell.  1785-87, oil on canvas. The Art Institute of Chicago.
Do you like Mrs. Russell's style? 



“By the mid 1770s the vertical extension of feminine hairdressing was complete, transforming its original smooth bouffant appearance into a mass of frizzed and powdered curls beneath extravagant straw and ribbon hats by the 1780s.” –The Culture of Fashion.

Check out the who wore it better post from earlier:
Who Wore it Better?   Frédérique Louise Wilhelmine and Mrs. Francis Russell

1 comment:

  1. I often look at this style and think that there was just no way that my hair would have remained thus. My hair is so straight that I have used it for a yard stick. It won't hold a curl longer than a half an hour. But, I just adore this style myself!

    ReplyDelete