18th century inspired: holiday gifts

Christmas decorations in the Chatsworth House Library
Christmas decorations at Chatsworth House Library. Photo by Matthew Bullen.  BBC.

I try to post one of these each year, (a just for fun gift guide post!) when I see something out there that reminds me of the 18th century, I make a note. So here are some things for the home!




18th century porcelain cockerels
 Cockerels, Saint-Cloud. 1740, soft-paste porcelain. The Metropolitan Museum of Art..
I actually recieved a similar ceramic chicken recently, but the chicken didn't sit on the 'nest' / base properly.  I had to return it at the store (naturally, that was a whole production, involving me being sent back and forth throughout the store while carrying my defected chicken around). Finally the shop ordered a new one to be sent to me.  When my second chicken arrived, it was smashed into pieces! I had to being the whole process over. The shop ordered another chicken for me.  The third chicken arrived in several pieces too! I gave up on the chicken. 

Now I have found this rooster bowl made by Lenox, so the quality should be apparent (unlike my sad chicken).  Maybe I should have went with this little guy instead!
Lenox, Butler's Pantry 2-piece Rooster Bowl Set by Lenox.
Lenox, Butler's Pantry 2-piece Rooster Bowl Set by Lenox.



soft-paste porcelain cream jug from the 18th century
Jug, Cream, French. ca. 1750, soft-paste porcelain. The Metropolitan Museum of Art.
The Climbing Primrose creamer sits in spirit of the 1750 cream jug, exept that it is microwave and dishwasher safe! It is part of the primrose tea set, other pieces in the set include a teapot, and sugar bowl (the sugar bowl is so cute!) 
a modern day creamer
Climbing Primrose Creamer



Pitcher, West Midlands, England. 1750-60, stoneware. The Metropolitan Museum of Art.

I know we can't see any color in the image of the English pitcher, but the design on it immediately reminded me of Peony server-ware set designed by Molly Hatch currently at Anthropologie. And I think the Chantilly pitcher would agree!

Peony server-ware by Molly Hatch.

 Pitcher, Chantilly. ca. 1730-35, Tin-glazed soft-paste porcelain. French. The Metropolitan Museum of Art.
The Chantilly Pitcher also inspires one to think of the Amazon Dreams Pitcher. Pretty colors and organic design.

Amazon Dreams Pitcher

and finally.....

Joke Wineglass, French. First half 18th century, Glass. The Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Ok, I LOVE this. Yes, a joke wineglass. I had to post it because, well it is just funny. I am trying to imagine who sat there, in the 18th century, giving their guests this glass....

Of course I couldn't find an exact joke wineglass but this oil and vinegar set is pretty cool and still classy- by Dutch designer Jansen + Co.!

Oil and vinegar by Jansen + Co.
If you have seen any other 'inspired' gift ideas, please share them here!

No comments:

Post a Comment