Favorites: Portrait of Marie Antoinette

François Dumont, Portrait of the Queen Marie Antoinette with her children. Late 18th century, paint on ivory. Musée du Louvre 

I love all the details of this painting, down to Marie Antoinette's blue silky shoes and hat. But what is really interesting (and I do not think you would know by looking at the image...) this portrait is only about 8x5 inches big!




Here are some close-up details of the painting, when you think about the size it is becomes even more incredible!





3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I always like the small, intimate work and try to imagine the circumstances and use for which they were created, since they don't function as much to influence public opinion as large official portraits would have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:29 PM

    I love this painting, it's very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the intimacy of this piece and in all honesty, I covert her hat.

    ReplyDelete